How do I request a PET scan?
Medical Aid patient
- The patient must be registered on the oncology programme.
- We will send in the request for authorization to the medical aid with all the correct nappi codes.
- We need two completed forms from you:
Number 1: a completed PET/CT scan request form (find on the website/ or from our office), patient details with a concise but thorough clinical history, clearly stating the reason for the requested scan. The clinical history is vital in the evaluation of the scan results and we would appreciate it if you take time to consider and mention all relevant information e.g. recent as well as previous surgery, treatments and current symptoms. This will be form number 1. Download
Number 2 : The additional form is a motivation for the medical aid.
- If the medical aid authorization was not granted – we will request an additional letter of motivation from you.
- It is important to attach all recent reports e.g. Histology, Radiology and other relevant procedures.
- It takes at least 5 working days to get the authorization from the medical aid.
- The PET/CT request form should be completed by the referring physician and payment can be made on the day of the scan after completion of the procedure.
Other important information:
- Please do not schedule any other appointments for your patient on the same day as the PET/CT scan.
- Do not schedule your appointment with the patient on the same day or early the following day after the PET/CT scan. The report will only be available after 12h00 the day following the PET scan.
- The report will be sent via email or faxed to the referring physician.
- Images will be sent to the PACS system of the referring radiology practice. If not possible – the patient will have a copy of the images on a disc. The disc has FUSED AXIAL and CORONAL slices as well as a viewing tool for your convenience.
- If DICOM data is needed for CT planning please request a disc from our department. All images are stored for future reference.